Tuesday, March 11, 2008

 

What I'm reading these days...

This weekend was the first time in awhile I had a chance to do extended reading beyond being on a LONG flight from Atlanta to Portland. So I thought I'd let you know what I'm reading...

~ An Unfinished Life : A biography of JFK. I'm enjoying reading the book for the sheer fact that international politics is a huge focus and his views on the world which was contrary to his father's isolationist views. It is a book where you want to dislike JFK (actually his father more so) in regards to how he treated women and how privileged he was but on the other side you can have compassion on him from the way he was brought up, his health issues, and losing his brother and sister within months of each other in tragic deaths.

~ The gospel of Mark : I joined a women's Bible study at church and we are reading and studying the book of Mark. Anytime you read the book, the word, immediately, jumps out at you for it feels like it is the beginning of every sentence. I'm reminded that God does act quickly and that I act slowly on the behalf of others. It has also been good to study the kind of authority Jesus exercised over physics, gravity, death, demons, sickness, etc. A good reminder of His power and soveriegnty.

~ A Healthy Multi-Ethnic Church : reading this book in regards to the fact that I'm working with ethnic students and the question comes up a lot about why the church in the U.S. is segregated. I'm also reading this book 'cause the church I attend here in Portland is multi-ethnic and I love it. I feel like the leaders of our church has embraced the fact that ministry is messy, working with others is a lot about relying on Christ and forgiving others and admitting we are wrong, and that they work through cultural issues pretty well. I have learned a lot about myself and my heart in going to this church.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?