Monday, July 03, 2006

 

First Mexico Experience


San Diego is a mere 15 minute drive to the Mexican-U.S. borderline. Tijuana was our destination and we got there at about 9AM.

Going to Mexico was a piece of cake. You just walked through and no one checked your passport or anything. It also seemed strange to me that a border can change the culture of one country to the next and yet it is the same land. While there we walked all around the main square looking at all kinds of things. All 5 of us got something to take home like hammock chairs, soccer shirt, sunglasses, a bag. My find was a red sterling silver ring. We also had some Mexican food of course, but we did have to be careful with what we ate so we aren't getting sick tomorrow.

Then we were ready to go back which wasn't as easy. We stood in a line for an hour and a half to get back to the US. It was amazing. What struck me as kind of funny was that most US citizens were asking where the express line was. An express line doesn't exist. In the line, everything was equal. It was a cultural experience that is for sure and gave me some things to think about. I'm not sure I'd go to Tijuana again, but glad I had the experience once.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?